Saturday, April 30, 2011

Today is special.

Today is Katie's birthday.

Photobucket

Who is Katie? While, technically she is my aunt; my mom's sister. However, the relationship we have isn't really described by the term "aunt."

Photobucket

She is a little bit of friend, a little bit of mother, a little bit of aunt, a little bit of sister...

Photobucket

It gets even more complicated when I think about what she is to my children. Great-aunt? Yeah right. Great-aunt sounds so old and removed.

Photobucket

To them, she is a little bit of aunt, a little bit friend, a little bit grandma, a little bit of... ??

Photobucket

So, to us, she is just Katie. One of the most important people in our lives.

Photobucket

The person who spends hours creating perfect monarch butterflies out of chocolate for the top of Katherine's birthday cupcakes. The person who searches high and low for the perfect "bride" dress for our dress-up collection.

Photobucket

The person who I called hysterically crying when they moved up Charlotte's open heart surgery to happen on Katherine's birthday, and was at my house in 45 minutes throwing together a make-shift birthday party (with the help of my mom and Missy of course :-)).

Photobucket

The person who made my wedding cake, arranged all our flowers, and decorated the reception hall. And a few years later is now the person who makes sure my kids have the best birthday parties around.

Photobucket

The person who told me the day after Charlotte's birth that no matter what happened, she had a feeling it was all going to be okay. I believed her; her "feelings" are usually right on. This time was no different; everything is okay.

Photobucket

The person who, while baking cakes with my mom and I for my little brother's wedding told us that after 25 years of living on the east coast her and Bill had decided to move back home.

Photobucket

Thank goodness they did. I couldn't do it without her. Everyone needs a "Katie" in their lives.

Happy birthday, we love you so much.

3 comments:

  1. I love you so very much Kate and agree with everything Emily has written! You are such an important person in all our lives. I am so glad that you and Bill are "home" and can share all the special times with us!! Happy Birthday, Kate!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Kate!!! Now that I am crying from reading all those sweet words from Emily... You are such a wonderful person, always so giving and kind! We love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated birthday Kate! I agree with Emily, we all need a Kate in our lives! You are an amazing person on so many levels!!!

    And Emily, I'll tell ya--you sure have a knack at making tears well up in my eyes. BBT (before blog time)had you told me you could make me cry over and over just by writing something down, I would've told you that was crazy. But, you did it again girlfriend! :)

    ReplyDelete

We love comments!!