Friday, November 18, 2011

Please, just ask.

I have noticed over the past 18 months, many of our friends and family skirt around the "Down syndrome" issue, and it feels at times as if it is almost the giant elephant in the room that no one wants to mention. At times, it is almost ackward because I can tell when someone is curious but doesn't know how to ask, so they just repeat over and over again how cute and happy Charlotte is (which she is, but believe me, it gets tiring hearing it time after time!).

Today, I am going to clear the air, and invite you to please just ask! I want to educate. I want to dispel any myths you may have heard. I want to advocate for my child by teaching those who love her about her disability.

I realize this is a fine line, as I also want Charlotte to be treated as any typical child would. However, a few questions here or there for you to better understand Down syndrome will help you spread awareness as well. I promise I will not break down in tears. Don't be afraid of offending me, I have heard and read it all. I am in a good place; my child has Down syndrome, I accept that. I have come a long, long way in 18 months, and learned a heck of a lot. Please, let me spread the knowledge.

Happy Friday everyone, have a wonderful weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments!!